Sunday, May 6, 2012

Flia. Hnos. Watson

Here is our new family name plaque.  The Flia is an abbreviation for familia and the Hnos for Hermanos (my name placque says Hermana (Sister) Watson, plural -- Brethren Watson).  The grand piano is a a bit of a stretch for our teclados, but one of our students expressed her love for us with this.  It hangs outside our door now, and we'll have to find a place for it at home.  It won't fit in our suitcase, but will BARELY squeeze into the guitar case, so it's going to make it home.
Our students shared their surpluses with us this week.  It makes me think of how much I like to share my garden.  You will recognize the avocados.  Above them are a different type of mango, and I can't remember the name of the green vegetable.  It works to make it into "zuchini" casserole, and we like it just steamed.  Yum!  Our only problem (!) is when we buy avocados because we don't have any and then are gifted 4 in a couple of days. We just have to eat lots. 
This is a road made slippery with mangos that we walk twice a week.  Rod has our teclado and table which we always use.
Here is the bird as a full fledged adult.  I guess this is the end of his photos unless he learns to speak and we can video him. Once again, white bread and cream will not kill a baby bird.  Who would have thought?
Jhoisi came home from the store with this guaba wrapped around her neck.  I was going to say that she is a favorite student, but I realized that almost all are favorites.  What a blessing to work with the youth of the church.  They are great!!!

We are still adding students.  Soon we will need to make a cut off date, but it is hard to do.

Tuesday night our 5:30 student, Hilda Castillo, asked for a blessing of health as she left.  She said she'd been sick for almost a week and needed to get back to life.  Rod gave her a blessing.  Shortly after she walked out I was hit by a horrible pain in my stomach and was really sick(to the point of fear of passing out) for the next few hours.  Rod gave me a blessing as well, and I was only sick for that one night.  We continued teaching the next day, with Rod teaching in our homes with only one student while I slept.  We did cancel one appointment, but that was all. Rod was sick on Saturday, about the same, and we did the opposite.  The people here say that when we change from dry to wet season there is a virus.  Who knows?  It made me even more grateful for the health we have enjoyed here.  We didn't have the sickness at the last change. Hilda was at church today feeling better, so "Hurray for the Priesthood".  I am so grateful for the blessings we've received through it.


2 comments:

  1. That reminds me of something we ate in Jamaica. I think it was called chocho. It had a sweet taste to it but reminded me of zucchini as well. We also were served mashed pumpkin, like mashed potato, and that was yummy too. We did not get to try breadfruit. Have u had that? I am glad to get to see and hear updates. Thank u for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bethany,
      You're right, Chaote, or some such spelling. Thanks for jogging my memory. I'd love to hear about your Jamaica trip. I can't remember your blog address. Could you send it again?
      Love,
      Auntie Janell

      Delete