Sunday, May 13, 2012

Wasp ant hatch

We decided to teach our students in the chapel so that they could have experience playing the organ they would play for church.  The touch is very different, and the keyboard so much larger that they are sometimes confused.  I love Teo looking at Rod, with Rod so relaxed teaching them.  It is wonderful to do this work.
Each Wednesday night we are treated to a special dinner here at the Miranda's.  Sister Miranda takes care with presentation, and the food is delicious.  This is one of the best steaks I ever tasted (I admit I was REALLY hungry) with patacones (double fried platanos) and carrot and cucumber spears.  She brings us the food as we are teaching and we just eat and teach together.  She is a strong mother, holding family home evenings with her children, and encouraging their spiritual growth.

Hattie likes to direct.  She was laughing at the picture because it looks like they are not on the same beat.  I usually play the piano so that they get a real sense of directing, so Rod helps them when they need it.
 This family is interesting.  Our student is the young lady (a returned missionary).  She didn't get the word that lessons were available, but found out from a cousin who is a student.  She just started and is working hard.  She invited us to dinner.  Lovely salad, macaroni, chicken with yummy tomato-based sauce and cheese.
Her older brother is a returned missionary from Nicaragua.  He received his mission call in Russia, where he had gotten a scholarship to study medicine for 7 years.  He spent the first year learning the language and basic biology, chemistry, etc.  Then he transferred to a different city for medicine and the branch of the church was in the next block.  Sounds like he was very active (mission leader).  His English is also quite good.  He is now doing his internship at a small hospital about 5 hours away by bus and boat -- he likes it better than the 1st year he spent in Panama city at a  large hospital.  He was home for the weekend.  He was able to come home every two years, so he basically spent 9 years away from home (mission and school).  The family is more well to do than most.  They seem very nice.



Ant hatch. 


I got started in English, but when Ana started asking questions in Spanish I switched.  She was asking if I hadn't seen something like this in my own country.  I haven't (thankfully).  I was amazed at their calm.  I don't like being buzzed by large flying insects shaped like wasps.

Nicole Ortiz, a student in Lassonde, came for her lesson this week after missing a week for a ward activity.  She said she wanted to play Nearer My God to Thee with both hands as written in the hymnbook.  I explained that it would be difficult and I wasn't sure we had time to do it.  She said "But Sister, I already know it" and she proceeded to play it, a bit slowly, but better than I can do.  I sat with my mouth hanging open.  I asked her how long she had worked at it, and she told me she'd done it in one day.  There are very talented youth here.  I love it that we can give them an opportunity to learn music.  Some of them at least will continue.

I have students asking to play the song "I'll Find You My Friend", written by Linda Leavitt Hartman.  I tried to find to to download, but was unable.  One night I was thinking about it and could see it in Edyn's home.  I called her and asked, and she did have it.  She scanned it and sent it.  With that information, I was able to contact Linda to ask if I could pay her for my copies.  She sent back a lovely letter telling me the story of how she had written it and offering to send autographed copies of the song for each of my students but asking me to then destroy the copies I had made.  I hope we can make it work out in the time we have.  What a generous offer.  She didn't realize that I have more than 70 students.  I didn't ask for that many copies, but she didn't blink at 25.  People are kind. The gospel is true.  I love the Savior.

Just in case anyone would like to read her account, here is the letter she sent:

Beehive Sales beehivesales@mac.com
May 10 (3 days ago)

to me
Hermana Watson,

You might enjoy hearing how the song came to be written.  I sent you in the previous email the story that I read that inspired the song but this is the rest of the story of how it came to be.

Throughout the years I have heard many rumors, stories and other amusing tales of how I'll Find You My Friend came to be.  I chuckle as I hear what has been passed around the church and would like to set the record straight.

I was preparing for my mission to Atlanta, Georgia in 1979 when my sister, Laurel Ann suggested I write a song for my farewell.  I responded with, "I don't know how to write a song, you've got to be kidding!"  When it was her turn to prepare the family home evening lesson, she had the whole family write poetry.  The poetry that came out of our little family was incredible.  This gave me the confidence, and along with her encouragement I decided to try.  Laurel Ann's greatest belief is that "YOU CAN DO ANYTHING YOU WANT, IF YOU WANT TO BADLY ENOUGH!"

Laurel Ann also suggested calling Wanda West Palmer, composer of "Oh That I Were An Angel", who lived in Mesa to receive directions on how to even begin such a task.  When I called her, she told me the key was just to PRAY--that Heavenly Father would work through me as an instrument in His hands to write down His words.

Two weeks before my farewell the music came as I was visiting in the home of Ray and Frances Rolph.  I worked for two weeks on lyrics but nothing came.  I guess I had faith that it would, because I even asked a close relative, Lynette Carling to sing it for my farewell.

The day before the farewell, Lynette was to be at my home to rehearse the song which still had no lyrics.  She called me from a pay phone at the grocery store to tell me she was running a little late.  I was about to tell her not to come, when her child fell out of the grocery cart and she quickly hung up.  I thought. "she is going to be so disgusted when she drives all the way to my home and I have no song for her to sing."  I went to my room and began going over my notes for my talk when I read a story about two friends in the pre-existence.  One was being sent to an LDS home and one was going to be born to a mother in another part of the country and would know nothing of the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

After I read the story, I began to tingle.  It was as if a surge of electricity was penetrating my soul.  I felt the Spirit of the Holy Ghost so strongly and I knew this was the time to pray.  As I knelt beside my bed I pled with the Lord to help me with lyrics.  Within a few minutes the lyrics flowed through my mind.  I was finished before she arrived.

In 1985, George W. Dyer and Tina Brunsdale Wright recorded my album entitled, "Ill Find You My Friend."  Since the first publication I'll Find You My Friend has been translated into 20 languages.  In 1987, a sequel to the first album was released entitled, I'll Find You My Friend Part II with a song called I Found You My Friend.  Vocalists are George W. Dyer, Lori Bowen Whittle, Keenan Kanahele and Lynette Vance Carling.



No comments:

Post a Comment