Sunday, June 26, 2011

Beginning preparations to move on

 This frog was outside at a student's house when we left.  The cushion that I'm restraining him with is the one we carry everywhere.  It has been such a blessing.  My legs are finally not feeling numb any more.  I just need to be careful.  People laugh when I climb in the back seat and recline and Rod is my chauffeur in the front, but it is a blessing to be healthy.  (I tease that I'm looking for better paying employment and get laughs, but I'm happy to be the chauffeur for Janell.)
 Jaan loves music.  He comes with surprises for me, having taught himself another hymn.  I asked him if his mom or grandmother sang with him.  His eyes were sad and he said no.  I assured him that his future wife would.  I hope I'm right.  It's sad not to have family to share with.
 Carlos is a returned missionary who is barely active now. (He was active for many years, but was slipping away)  Rod has worked on English with him while I taught his niece piano.  We have hopes that he might consider becoming active again and attending the temple. 
Marjorie is Rod's very own student.  Her cousin is one of our two most advanced, so Rod doesn't work with her. She practices a lot and is progressing.  (Rod:  She was memorizing, not reading the notes and this week I said we were moving in a bit, she needed to learn them and she made great progress -- she really is patient with my Spanglish -- we both chatter away and some information does get passed on.)  When she started I wouldn't have thought she had a chance.  That goes to show you how much I know.  They have their lessons together at 8-9 on Friday nights.  It is a long day for us, beginning at 8 a.m., but it is worth it as it saves us a travel day. 

We've decided to try to move to a different area in September.  That will essentially make half our mission.  Every time we tell anyone that we are moving to Alcalde Diaz they say "It is so dangerous there".  We haven't talked to a priesthood leader there yet.  Our district president here said he would start that process.  He is excited about what we've accomplished here and I think it might help the next place have a desire to help us get settled well if they get the news from him.  Alcalde Diaz is about half an hour from the temple, so we'd be closer to the city by far.

We are taking photos of all our piano students at the piano.  We need to make sure the memories are in place.  I can't imagine my mind can hold it all.

Here is a star student.  The family had gotten upset with the primary letting their little one escape and was inactive.  The ward mission leader showed us their house and we started piano with Abdiel (actually all three have the first name of Abdiel).  He learns several hymns a week and last time was transposing a hymn -- on his own -- and not using the keyboard to transpose!  Pretty impressive talent.  He is also enjoying seminary.  Kevin the middle boy is getting 'lessons' from me (Rod) in preparation for baptism as he is 8 and wants to be baptized (I use preach my gospel).  The missionaries would be interested if he were 9 -- I almost suggested he wait, but that would have caused a reprimand from my senior companion.  He is the one that had trouble reading and I corrected his double r sound where it shouldn't be and the soft c (before e and i).  Interesting that the weak can be of use.  However, I'm not sure how much he gets from the 'lessons'.  We at least have a good time and we are reviewing the new picture book, so he will have some idea of the gospel stories.)


We talked to Emma yesterday.  She attended a session of conference with us here so we took her a conference report Liahona.  She doesn't read much.  I don't know how to help her more.  She is close to the Savior, she just needs the ordinances, the other line of revelation that Elder Oaks talks about.  She is experiencing some challenges, which is what one would expect, I suppose.

Rod has coined a new word for us.  We have neighbors and friends who talk so rapidly we don't have a chance to understand.  He says they are speaking "machinegun dialect".  The Spanish word is ametralladora.  It does feel almost like an attack.

Last week when Rod was feeling lonely an out of place at church he asked me if I couldn't join him and support the Relief Society instead of the primary.  I told the Branch President and his wife (who is the primary president).  She said she was going to call the new convert they asked to be her helper.  Today when I arrived, neither of them was there and neither came.  I looked around at about 12 children, 4 who never come, and just thought, "We'll have to cancel, I can't do it".  Then the girls who used to do primary came.  We have become good friends with them and I begged them to come help.  They were sweet to agree.  We had no books, but Milly found an Old Testament manual for adults, and from this she taught for over an hour.  She gave stories, examples, involved all the children, teased, laughed, and was generally wonderful.  She is a born teacher.  What a huge blessing! Her sister took our book bag and dominoes and held a nursery for the two very young.  We gave them a ride home as payment.  I forgot to mention that it was 7 people who came, the two young adults and 5 of their nieces and nephews, so our little car was stuffed with 9.  I marvel at the miracle of faith that some people exhibit.  The gospel is true.

1 comment:

  1. I'm interested to know how you chose the dangerous area as your next without contacting the priesthood leadership. Was it a suggestion from your mission president?

    The frog was fun to see. Here at Deryk & Becky's house, there are tree frogs that gather on the windows at night to eat the bugs that come to the light. There were four on one window.

    Love,
    Myles

    ReplyDelete