Sunday, June 5, 2011

Bugs

This video captures the sounds of how 'Froggie goes a courtin' ' in Panama.  We are holding piano class outside on the patio at Mariza's mother's home, as we do at many houses and where the breeze is better.   Froggie is captured joining in on the fun.  Just so you know, only his voice is captured.  There isn't one on the flower that you can't see.  Rod is just showing you the flower as well.



 More complaining of bugs!  Actually Rod is surprised that there are not more.  These fly in and dive bomb while I'm teaching outside.  Juan had a fun time teasing me with them.  I'm not sure why I didn't just hold one and then the fun would be gone.
 We just put them on the piano to show you.  There were actually about 50 of them on the floor beside us.  One that was maybe 4 or 5 times bigger came in.  Even Juan thought it was worth his time to bat it out of the way with our book.
 Rod said he thought it might have been funny to eat one, (if I had had something crunchy, I might have pulled it off).  Sister Quezada says they worry about the bugs bombing into an eye in which case they really burn.  Glasses are wonderful sometimes.
 When we arrived here at the Flores home there was no power on a rainy Thursday.  We got out our children's books and read together.  Can you recognize all of them?  We have them in English and Spanish thanks to Apryl's help, some translated commercially, and my friend Irma in Corvallis.  We love sharing them.  We eventually got power and then they read between turns.
Edilsa, a piano student in Las Tablas,  carries a Strawberry Shortcake bag.  I though some of you might have memories and enjoy this.  She wasn't thrilled to have her picture taken.

We took Jose's (a 12 year old recent convert) mom and family to church with us today.  They have 4 children, 12,8,5, 2, I think.  Her husband was killed in a motorcycle accident about 3 months ago.  She is trying to figure out how to make it in a cold world.  The government doesn't offer welfare here for someone in her position.  I'm trying to figure out what is appropriate help given the messages in the last conference.  She also is struggling with spiritual issues and is open to studying together.  I surely hope I can listen to help her.

We visited a non-member family last week.  The mom had had an accident at work and her husband said she was in bed crying.  We went back with the elders a few days later and offered her a priesthood blessing.  Elder del Angel, from Mexico, insisted that Rod anoint and have the experience.  I appreciated this.  (He probably didn't know that we have been giving quite a few blessings, but junior companions need the practice)  We went back two days later and she said she was able to walk around and hadn't taken any pills that day.  Rod emphasized to her that blessings work because of your faith.
 I am trying to learn how often and when to offer blessings.  Even though I know there is purpose in pain sometimes, I also know the Lord wants to bless us.

We've been two days without water now.  I usually wash on Saturday morning, but I waited.  I hope it comes tomorrow as we don't have many more socks. (Translation:  She has a bunch and I'm out)  We actually have water in a tank outside that I can use if I need to, so we're not desperate.  (I could get tired of showering out of a bucket, however, we only have had to do that about once a week.)

2 comments:

  1. okay so the bug thing BUGS. I need to be more grateful for water too. love ya.
    edyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is no limit to how often we can use our priesthood. You can't give (or get) too many blessings if the recipient has the faith to receive it.

    You guys rock - John

    ReplyDelete