Monday, October 25, 2010

A sisters' reunion without me at my house

Each week is packed for us.  I am so glad we don't have to keep the hours the missionaries do.  I don't think we could make it.  When we return at 8 I am bushed. Think about 9:00.




Last Friday we visited Jose (the young man I helped prepare a talk for the primary program on Sunday).  It was raining a downpour while we were at their house.  We left thinking that we would walk back to town and not melt.  It was much further than we had noticed when the taxi brought us, and we soon could tell we had made a mistake.  A kind man and his wife offered us a ride.  We gratefully took it.  When they dropped us off, she told us that we had just gone through a neighborhood with lots of robbers.  We felt that the Lord had protected us as well as helped us to arrive on time.


We had made an appointment with Jaime Borbon to take us to see members who are not attending who live close to him.  "Close" is very subjective.  It was still raining, and he took his umbrella.  We followed him through the streets.  I watched his sandalled feet and it was a bit like following the Savior through the dark.


At each home we took a photo, sang a song or two, had a prayer, assured them that we would return with more time, and moved on.
It was lovely.  We ended up at his home and he offered us fish.  It was fried and was delicious with lime squeezed on.  Rod wondered if it were his dinner.  His home, like ours, had no water, so he dipped water for us to wash our hands.  He was at church on Sunday.  He is our friend now.


Jose was so late Sunday that he walked in during the Sacrament.  I was really praying for him to come.  He delivered his memorized talk in great form.  I already love this kid.  I look at him and think of the missionary who said his mission was wasted because he only baptized "one snot-nosed kid".  Later a patriarch of a large, active family claimed to be that one kid.   One never knows, and as Elder Packer taught us, "What if that kid were MY son?"






 My mom and sisters used our apartment for a sisters' reunion.  They were kind enough to harvest our squash.  We have been buying squash here!  Such is life.  I'm sure Darin appreciates having the vines disappear.  Thanks to all.
 These are my sisters with my mom in the middle.  I miss them, but I tell Mom's story here to encourage the people who have had hurt feelings.
 We returned to our apartment one evening and three geckos were in the living room.  We were able to catch one. 
 Elder Valentine had heard that if you put a gecko on your tie he will stay.  The handwork for this tie is called Mola.  There is a people here who specialize in it.  It is a regular tie with tiny strips of fabric added and sewn by hand.
 It was just too hot and I couldn't resist.  Luckily we have more than one fan, so Rod could have one, too.
 When it rains in the evening there is a chorus of frogs.  It is loud and kind of like whooping or whistling.  I haven't seen the frogs, but Jose was prepared to go hunting for one.  Unfortunately, it was time to go, so he didn't have time.
 Left to Right, Lizardo, Justin, Juan, Jose, and I are directing music.  I hope to have one of them direct this Sunday.
 Saturday, Jose came into town for our 9:30 piano class, 11:00 practice for the primary program, and our 4:00 English class.  He went with us to do errands in town.  He wanted ice cream, but I told him (mean lady) that he could have fruit and yogurt.  He polished off an apple, and somehow ate his yogurt while we were walking home without a spoon.
 This is a "Chino" under construction.  The Chinese people build a store with a nice home above it.  They seem to be prospering.
This is Elder Cobba from Peru who replaced Elder Valentine.  He has a sad story (most of them do), but has great enthusiasm and is always ready for a laugh.  He told me he was my protector as we were walking the streets at night.  He was running ahead and wielding his "machetes".
We took this picture for Ray, who hates to work in cement.  It was about 90 degrees and about 90 percent humidity.  These guys put bags of cement, wheelbarrows of sand, and wheelbarrows of gravel, then hand mix it all.  They were smiling and willing to share their time with us for the photo.


No comments:

Post a Comment