Sunday, November 13, 2011

Sandwiches and square dancing

Sister Romero, grandmother of 6 of our students, made this little doll to hang in our car.  She let me choose, and I love the face of this one.

Last Thursday I woke up a bit sick. I'm having the same symptoms I had when I discovered that I couldn't eat peaches any more, but I haven't discovered the source.  It's not as bad as the peaches yet.  I'm keeping a food record to see if I can find the culprit.  Anyway, I didn't have energy to hurry and fix a lunch, so we put our avocado, tomatoes, mayonnaise, and bread along with the peanut butter and honey jars in a sack and decided to invite ourselves to lunch at the Sanchez home. 
She gave me this dress.  Rod didn't want me to accept it.  They have little, but I didn't feel like I could say no.  We had a great time with them that day.

That stripe across it makes me feel less than thin.  It does "Leave everything to the imagination" as Matthew Cowley used to say about the Maori mumus.
This is out student Daphne.  She had leukemia a year ago and spent a year in the hospital.  She is talented, and very soft and sweet.  Her hat fits her better than it does Rod.

After lunch we turned on the keyboard to Oh Susannah and danced a bit.  It was completely without skill, but it was great fun.



I think it wouldn't be possible to get much more joy out of sandwiches.  We made them together and enjoyed them together.  Simple and wonderful.




Seminary graduation was Saturday night.  It was very formal with Graduation music playing and lockstepping in on the arm of a parent.
There was no one to play the hymns so I did that.  We really need to teach our students here and then let that stake have a chance.

Wednesday in Puerto Armuelles I was feeling pretty sick with this food allergy or whatever it is.  We had two students cancel, so we decided to go visit a widow there who once gave us lunch and ask her if we could crash on her couch.  She was accommodating, and we moved her chairs together for me, Rod took the couch, and she put a fan on us.  When I woke up half an hour later, she was sitting on the porch rocking.  I went out and we visited.  She is lovely.

We received videos from Edyn and Apryl this week.  I love to sit and watch them while we eat.  I really appreciate their efforts.  I know it's hard to be a young mom and get everything done.

Every day I am grateful for good habits and meaningful work.  This is a good season together in life.  The gospel is true.  The Savior treasures each of us.

3 comments:

  1. Ellie enjoyed granddad's had and she enjoyed the picture of the boy with the tomato sticking out of his mouth. She said OOOO that's disgusting.
    A big word for a big girl. I guess I missed the post before I don't remember reading about mom stomping on a cockroach. Yuck. I hate those things. hope you had a good sabbath. I have been sick so I slept for a few hours and it felt great.
    love edyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ellie and I thought the doll was cute too.
    edyn

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed the video of the square dancing and to see pics. of such happy children with the sandwiches.

    Sorry to hear you've been feeling sick. Last time we called the Shelleys, we got Tina, and she's having to narrow down foods, too. If it's genetic at all, maybe her outcome would be helpful to you or vice versa. Good luck! Hopefully, you don't have to eliminate something as wonderful as peaches.

    ReplyDelete