Saturday, November 26, 2011

Audrey Arrives

 We wanted the car to be nice and shiny for Audrey's arrival.  I teach Endira, our landlady, piano lessons on Monday nights.  When I asked them where to take our car to have it washed, Jorge said that Endira likes to do it.  I accepted as a trade of services, and one evening about 9, we did it together.  It was a fun change of pace.
 Our first appointment after Audrey's arrival has 3 students, so Audrey hit the deck running.  She gave Henry his lesson while we concentrated on 2 new students we've picked up.  Her Spanish is better than I would have thought.  She can understand a lot and, of course, being Audrey, isn't afraid to try.
 It was a downpour while she was teaching.
 The next family has four boys.  I Spy Go Fish was a hit.
 Navid is reading to the family.
 Apryl's gift of Oreo Turkey makings was a big hit.  This family lost their dad in a trucking accident a few years ago, and life has been hard.
 Another turkey party.  All the family was involved and then Audrey did the reading and Go Fish routine, this time by herself because we were both teaching.


Turkeys with the Romero family.  Just a bit of a blurb.  Rod is learning to talk while he videos.  Yeah! for him. 


Saturday in Puerto Armuelles where Audrey will spend 4 days lazing on the beach, she began by teaching the boys to throw a frisbee. 
 This isn't clear, but you can see that Rod can still run and catch a frisbee.  Pretty fun.  Audrey was hot enough when we finished.  She said she needed to change clothes as she felt like she'd wet them.  "Welcome to Panama".
Both were charmed.  Audrey taught him to play Go Fish in English, then shared her cake and lemon sauce and then her WATER BOTTLE.  I don't think she's related to her dad in this way.  He wouldn't even share his with me.


We had lunch with some of our students.  They played the piano and we sang.  Not great music, but great company and fun.


Eduardo has earned a keyboard.  Audrey made it into a party for all of us.  They were thrilled to meet her and have her sing and play for them.

It is awesome to have her here.  I had a hard time coming home without her, but sitting at the beach for 4 days isn't in our schedule, and I think she'll be happy with some alone time.  We'll pick her up on our regular trip to Puerto next Wednesday.


 We were invited as a zone to the Young's home in Volcan for a Thanksgiving dinner.  The Youngs are a retired American couple who have a Down's Syndrom daughter. They were wonderful with her, including her in everything.  She put on a program for us after dinner.
Sister Young did it all herself.  It makes me crazy to think of doing a dinner for a lot of people.  I've lost my touch.  She says I don't have a kitchen, either, which is true.  She had homemade pumpkin pies and wonderful whole wheat rolls that were the best thing to me.  She shared her blackstrap molasses (straight from the factory for $3 for a 5  gallon bucket).  I think I'll try to make some.  They loaned us some books to read, and it was wonderful just to relax and visit.  As Audrey says, "It takes effort to speak in Spanish".


We had a bad moment Thursday night when the Mission President's wife called to say they were stuck in traffic and couldn't make it to the airport.  We were in Volcan teaching, and just told them we'd given Audrey emergency instructions just in case.  Then we continued teaching and started praying.  Less than half an hour later they picked her up and called.  Blessings!

2 comments:

  1. Glad she made it safe and sound, and is having such a wonderful time!

    I think the music is good. Keep sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was fun to see audrey there with you. I so wish that I was there too. Dangit. It should be in my schedule to spend 4 days at the beach.
    love ya

    ReplyDelete