Sunday, October 9, 2011

Do you follow Jesus this close?






I knew the time would come when I would have few photos and not a lot to say.  Here it is.  We followed this truck home from David one day.  I liked its message. 

We finished reading the Book of Mormon for the second time on our mission in Spanish about a week ago.  The Liahona, magazine from the church that we receive here has dedicated this month's issue to the Book of Mormon, so we've been reading an article each night before we begin the book itself again.  It has made me wonder how closely I follow the Savior, and how much I use the Book of Mormon as a handbook.  However, this morning I felt I received a guide that I needed.  I read 2 Nephi 31:20.  It says "press forward with a steadfastness in Christ having a perfect brightness of hope"  Sometimes when I think of the struggles of those I love, I lose faith.  The problem with losing faith is that then things are awfully dark.  

We had a cancellation tonight and filled it with a visit with our landlord.  They came to sing with us.  He is an artist about our age with a wife about 25 or so.  Amazingly, they both seem content and happy.  We sang Beatles and hymns and ended with a closing prayer.  I enjoyed it a lot.

Rod received a call to serve in the branch presidency as a counselor today.  He wasn't pleased and his obedience will be tested.  We'll see how it works out.  [I won't be able to serve as a counselor because of language and knowledge barriers, more like an executive secretary to help get the Sunday program going]

Our first "starting from zero" student played in Sacrament Meeting today.  We were preparing with 3 other students directing while he played.  At the end of the hymn, all three remembered to cut to the right.  I cheered, and when I looked around we had an audience of smiling parents.  I love it that people are supportive.  There certainly is joy in helping others improve their talents.






3 comments:

  1. You'll do a great job, Dad!

    We're excitedly awaiting the arrival of our 1st Liahona subscription here.

    Love,
    Christie

    Others' trials shouldn't make you lose hope. They're supposed to be for our good :) Christie and I get to spend more time together and I get to do more homework help.

    Love,
    Myles

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed the are you following jesus this close. It's food for thought. I got up early and went running and biking with jenica. it was fun to get out one last time before it is too cold.
    love ya

    ReplyDelete
  3. Myles and I are impressed with how well you have kept up with the blog on your mission! Thanks for taking the time to share and keep in touch this way. We really enjoy reading it as a family. I think it'll be great for you to have as a memory for later, too.

    ReplyDelete