Sunday, October 23, 2011

Bananas, Birds, and Blessings

 David comes to our house for his lesson.  He is really excited about directing and found in the book a certificate of completion of the directing course that he says he wants to earn.  He is showing off the bananas that our neighbor gave us.  She told me I needed to cover them to keep the birds from them.  Our landlord said not until they begin to turn yellow.



Here are the platanos that have begun to turn yellow and mute evidence that I need to cover the bananas.  We are learning to eat more bananas and platanos as they are produced here and we are given them often.

Our life has less new and different things now.  We are accustomed to much of life here.  It is raining more than usual.  I washed clothes on Friday, and could still wring water out of my shirts on Saturday night even though they are in a covered area.  I'm hoping the socks will dry fast enough that they don't stink and I have to wash them again.  I don't know what else to do.  (We brought them indoors and put them upstairs where it is often warmer)

We're excited to have Audrey come and show her around.  I hope it will be fun for her.

The fact that we have less photos doesn't mean we aren't feeling good about our contribution here.  Today four students played in sacrament meeting and they directed each other.  I've discovered that I actually need to play the piano and have them direct me or each other in order for them to learn well.  If all went well we had students playing in each of the branches we serve.

We are GLAD, GLAD, GLAD to be here together with meaningful work to do.  We are really enjoying listening to conference as we travel.  We listened first in Spanish, and (now in English) it is as if we haven't heard the talks before.  That says something about our Spanish skills.  However, we are learning.

3 comments:

  1. Elayna and I enjoyed seeing the bananas.
    love you
    thanks for calling today.
    edyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. This morning at breakfast, Carly asked how long it's supposed to take to be fluent. Some people say 6 months. Others say a year. Since she asked this in English, Myles laughed. He answered her in German, saying, "If we only speak in German, it'll be a lot faster."

    It's interesting that for you after about a year things don't seem so new anymore.

    There is something about reading/listening to Conf. in English. It makes me feel at home.

    So exciting to hear about your students. They are very blessed to have you in their lives!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This morning, after I put a load of towels in the wash, I realized it was drizzling.

    By the time they were done, the sun starting shining (even though it's cold)!

    I thought of you as I put them all out to dry.

    Ahh, it's funny to be so happy to do laundry on a sunny day. Something I didn't need to be appreciative of before.

    ReplyDelete