Sunday, July 17, 2011

Of baptisms,fruit, frogs, and tricked out trucks


 Finally it happened.  Our first baptism.  We planned it in advance, I made invitations, all was ready, I thought.  Then...
 When we were teaching on Tuesday, we received a text (yes we are really technologically savvy here.  It doesn't cost the members anything to receive a text from me and I can do it while I'm traveling) saying Ximena wanted to be baptized as well.  I had just lectured the elders that I didn't want to rush things, but Ximena has a caesarian section scheduled July 29 so it made sense to try to do it.  The President gave permission for the zone leaders to come to interview, one of our students cancelled at just the right time so we could arrange to help them, Ximena and I went shopping and found the white clothes in about and hour or so and we were on our way.  I changed the remaining invitations and created a program for the baptism.  Someone asked me if it went off without a hitch.  Of course not, this is Panama, but we had about 25 people in attendance, my M&M cookies were spectacular (thank you Dorrie and Layne for sending them.  I wanted big bang for your bucks, and they were a success.  I also invited two of my wonderful students to come and bake them with me, so I enjoyed it a lot.) Since we have two diabetics (Ximena is one) I made whole wheat pumpkin bread with raisins.  It tasted wonderful to me (and her).
Damaris' son, Jose, was scheduled for the opening prayer and didn't arrive until the closing one.  We were the blue taxi and ferried everyone around for the service. We offered a girl who was scheduled to speak a ride an hour early because then she wouldn't have to pay for a taxi.  She refused, saying it was too early.  She arrived after the baptism, even the cookies, in a taxi.  We really felt sad.

When we arrived home with Damaris and her family, I felt like it wasn't quite complete.  I had the idea to ask to come in and share their first family prayer with them.  We knelt, and the Spirit was sweet. We taught her a bit about family home evening.   It felt so good we went back to Jesus and Ximena's and did the same thing.

We had one more music lesson after, from 7-8, the one that cancelled for us on Wednesday for the interview, and came home to fall into bed.  Blythe and Shalyn both called before we made it, and it was wonderful to unwind with them.


This is our baptismal font.  It's draining.  I was surprised the children didn't play in the water more.


I bought this fruit because someone told me it was a cross between mango and papya.  It was awfully disappointing.  It did have interesting sections, like an orange but with seeds inside, but we just tasted and put it in the garbage.  When I went to the fruit stand that week end there was  a big box of rotting ones.  Apparently others agreed.
This bug was on our car window when I went out one morning.  I was so excited I went back in and left the keys inside when I got the camera.  I went out and shut the door, locking myself out with Rod in the shower.  All is well now, and it was a fun picture.  Somehow the reflection caught me and the window.
Here he is again.  I wonder if he's poisonous with his blatant advertising.
One night during a lesson we had a downpour.  The mom came and got me to show me the frogs I'd been hearing.

Here's a still picture, taken in the dark, and here is a video so you can hear them, too.




We asked Sister Flores if she had plants she could share for the church.  She dug out one of her ginger plants and hacked it off with her machete.  She's a powerful woman.
We are amazed at how trucks are decked out here on the Pan American Highway.  Here is a great example.  He was stopped on the side of the road so we got the photo.  I tried it driving by, but didn't know enough to get a good shot.

We are tired and haven't walked or exercised all week end.  Could it be that we're too busy sawing to sharpen the saw?  We're glad to be here.  When the president heard that we were having the baptism he asked us if we still want to move.  For a minute I questioned, but then I thought about our Friday with a two hour one way drive for four students, two of whom cancelled, and I thought, yes, I do.  We have more than a year, and we'll be near the temple, so we can join the branches we know for their temple trips.  I plan to keep Saturdays open (Rod doesn't believe a word of it).  The gospel of Jesus Christ is true.  It blesses lives.

Blythe blessed her baby today.  Edyn loaned the dress she made out of my wedding dress that my mother made.  Blythe called me this morning and put the phone where I could see her and "together" we bathed the baby.  The plan was to dress her together, too, but Myles and Christie called in and we connected them so that the girls could share in it, too.  Blythe called me back and I got to see Taylia all ready.  I love Skype.  Connections are bad sometimes, but it's nice.  Google chat serves, also.

Apryl's baby came home from the hospital last Tuesday and they called and shared as well.  Thank heaven for Bethany, our niece, who is staying in our apartment and was able to support Apryl through the hospital feeding visits and other things. Families are wonderful. 

Audrey, on her way home from the fire in Arizona, got to spend the night in Provo, see Apryl's baby in the hospital, and hang out with family.   Blessings.

1 comment:

  1. I think it's fun that the frog's throat bulges out so much and how he kinda sounds like he's talking.

    love, Robyn

    I thought it was fun that we could see the trucks and that the frog was cool and I liked how they were making bread (the e-mail video).

    love, Macy

    I thought the frog was cool.

    love, Carly

    ReplyDelete