Saturday, February 5, 2011

Spotlight on Rod's teaching


This young lady was so excited to share with us her Book of Mormon record.  She is a piano/English student.  When they sign up to take piano and try to earn their own keyboard, they agree to come to church and read the Book of Mormon.  She always has a smile and I love to go there.  She loves my "Cookies" book like I do.

This is a marignon tree.  It is a cashew.  The fruit is not wonderful in my opinion, although they add water and sugar in a blender and they do love it.  One of our students' fathers has promised to help us prepare the cashews when it's time.

A closer look at the fruit.

 We arrived at this home to teach one day and all our students were at the river swimming.  We took advantage to teach the branch president the first three chords.  He also sang Besame Mucho with me on the guitar.  We don't often get to just visit so it was a nice change of pace. As you can see, I have trouble telling people and I just use my hands.

Rod is doing double duty while he's teaching the mom and tending the child.  We have 3 students at this house.

This little girl loves to read.  I hope we get more books soon.

 My piano student, Brother Smith's daughter, and I couldn't concentrate with these two in the same room so we sent them outside.  They are studying English in the form of nursery rhymes and finger plays.

Milly, standing, played her first hymn with both hands today.  She also showed off HER first student, her niece, who could play HER first hymn with two hands.  This program is a miracle.  They are reading the Book of Mormon together as well.


We counted up our students, and we have 15 who are playing at least the first hymn with two hands.  We have an elder who has had only 2 or 3 lessons who is playing his 3rd.  We are in contact with former senior missionaries and hopefully building on their experience.  Our only problem is our backsides that are rebelling against too much time sitting.



The humidity here gives us interesting challenges. 

3 comments:

  1. At least you won't swallow it as it appears stuck to the roof of your mouth. I am glad you are feeling so wonderful about your experiences. Thanks for the example.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for letting us share in your experiences! We love to see what you're doing. We thought it was fun to see your "grandstudent." I'm sure that's rewarding.

    Christie and I are wondering if the Book of Mormon reading chart is something that you gave her. Did you get it from The Friend?

    Love,
    Myles and Christie (from Mannheim)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I've had that cashew fruit drink in brazil. It wasn't my favorite but fun to try. I loved the zinc lozenge video. I had to take one this morning as I woke with a bit of a sore throat. It's so fun how many people are learning to play hymns.

    ReplyDelete