Sunday, February 13, 2011

Borrowed grandbabies and banana update

About 3 months ago, while we were in McDonalds in Santiago to meet the sisters there, Rafmil introduced himself to us as he overheard us say we lived in Aguadulce and taught English to some students.  (see earlier blog)
He is now too busy with a new business, but, as we mentioned, Janell went and had her hair cut by his mother. She told us that she wanted to be a missionary and wanted to learn more.  We made a Sunday date as she works the other six days.  When we explained our program to her, offering to study Preach my Gospel and the Book of Mormon, I asked her if she were interested.  She asked in return, "If you are thirsty, do you want water?"  Last week she was in Panama City.  We called today, and she said she hadn't had time to do her homework, but she would meet with us if we wanted.  Of course, we wanted.  We went by and began to read the intro to the Book of Mormon, with me reading a paragraph in Spanish and she repeating it.  We talked about her correcting my accent, but she didn't do much of it.  Rod got a bit nervous that it was too elementary, but I continued and ignored his touches (he was willing to concede).  When we finished and talked a bit, she said she had been praying to God to help her find wisdom and deepen her knowledge, and as she had been reading she felt that this was the answer.  We read the first page of the Joseph Smith story that follows, and we made another appointment.  She explained to us that she has practiced all her life closing her eyes and opening her heart to the Savior who gives her direction and peace.  She is a very calm person, very warm and humble.  We look forward to sharing more of her story with you. 

 This is Fiama.  Fiama's mama was talking on our computer with her mother, so Rod was babysitting.  I thought the only thing wrong with the photo was that it isn't one of our own grandchildren.  Darn!!
 We didn't have many photos this week, so I thought I'd share this series.
 Her mom didn't like the tongue, but I do.
 She does have a cute smile.
 This heavy bunch of bananas (on the left) brought the tree down in a wind storm.  Since banana trees only bear once and since the bananas were already fat and ready to ripen, it isn't a tragedy at all, just makes them easier to harvest.


 Once a banana tree bears fruit, it dies and other shoots come from the bottom.

This is the only time I have seen the blossom open.  This garden, quite small, provides all the bananas and plantains for the family.


We had four students vying for the piano in church this morning.  They played all the songs as well as directed.  It is wonderfully rewarding.

Primary was amazing this morning.  It has to be one of my best "Hand of the Lord" experiences.  Our branch is preparing for the temple trip this week.  The Mission President sent out one of his counselors to speak to everyone in a meeting during the last hour.  I didn't know anything about it (I still miss a lot).  The President's wife who is the primary president taught the first hour, then gave the children colored pencils and paper and DISAPPEARED without saying a word.  I expected her back momentarily, so I got out my guitar to play primary songs and hymns to the children while they colored.  45 MINUTES LATER, the children were still coloring happily and singing and smiling.  I forgot to tell you that upon entering primary two little boys were throwing garbage, hitting, and generally behaving badly.  I decided after asking twice and being ignored that this was a time for a dad.  The dad came, talked turkey, and we had perfect children for the rest of the class.  Definitely "Hand of the Lord". 

I did get Jaime, our friend who is going through the temple this week, to cut dowels for me yesterday so we have rhythm sticks.  They were a smashing success with these boys.  I wonder if they are ADD or something because it is hard for them to sit still.


We visited the Flores family.  We have 6 students there.  I finally decided I need to learn their names.  We lined them all up, and they are Roselis, Yatsuri, Marlenis, Itzary, Iranys, Maribel.  Good luck.  Actually, I may have done it.  We'll see.

1 comment:

  1. Looking good Dad! Just figured out how to comment on blogs. I'll be doing it a lot more now. :) Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete