Tuesday, November 16, 2010

A 'must' see -- Janell with a bottle brought home in a brown paper sack

 These are our two Elder Penas.  The one on the right is here with us in Aguadulce, the other is one of our district leaders.  I love to work with both of them.  Our Elder Pena helps me with Spanish.  When I am speaking and hesitate, I can look at him for help. He reminds me of Doug Knighton, our nephew, so he is even more special.
 These are the sugar cane fields.  On the left they are in bloom.  Harvest comes after they bloom.  I hope I get to see the harvest.
We had an appointment out in the country.  This family has received a piano from the grant, but they currently have no electricity, so they can't use it.  We are trying to figure out a solution.  We started here with three, and another family joined us.  By the time we finished, it was dark (as you can see in the video below when we are singing together.  It was awesome.  They were smoking sausages but I forgot to take a picture.

 
We were invited to dinner Sunday night at the home of the primary president, a young woman.  They were celebrating the birthday for two children in the family.  We played "Go Fish" in English with these two while we waited for dinner to begin.  Later we took them home in our car.  We had 5 adults and three kids in our little Yaris.  It worked!  No seatbelts in back, of course.

We've discovered a fruit stand in Chitre that we enjoy.  Last week I explored their wares and discovered molasses for $1.50.  I was so excited thinking about "Molasses Milk" which I love.  It reminds me of Postum and the potato harvest in Idaho when I was a child.  I bought it and brought it home before I thought about the fact that it is never cold enough that I want a hot drink.  We never bake, so here I am with a quart of Molasses.  Oh well, live and learn.



 

President Ward has given us permission to do as we think best with the missionaries here.  They are open to our suggestions, so I suggested some English instruction at District Meeting each week.  This is our first attempt.  We had a lot of fun.


 

This might be termed excessive celebration, but the guys were really having fun.  I think we will look for more paddles so we can play round robin.  I did play a game or two.  After a few serves on my part, it was "No more Mr. Nice Guy" and they were playing for keeps.  It was fun.  The young missionary on the right side in the game isn't really on his mission yet.  He is to leave in February, but there was a problem, and he is filling in.  He has a great companion.  When I visited their apartment the dishes were all done and it was as clean as mine, (pert near).  I was IMPRESSED.




Our work now consists in visiting one city per day to do our classes.  The elders have made appointments, and they are accompanying us the first day to give us directions to the homes.  We are having much better success than in the chapel here in Aguadulce.  During visits if Rod doesn't have work while I teach, he cares for little children in the home or teaches English to the Elders.  I think we have enough work.  Each day starts with appointments about 12:00 and continues with appointments each 1 1/2 hours until 5 or 6.  Days are full, but the members are great.  I confess that I am tired, though.  We are trying to get to bed a little earlier.


I was able to deliver my first address in church.  Rod was asked to give his testimony and he worked harder than I did to prepare then wasn't asked to do it.  He's prepared for next time.

Our members here are eager to learn and work hard with what they have.  I can definitely learn from them.  I have been surprised and pleased with how many 'coincidences' we are receiving to help the work, make things easier and build our testimony of the Lord's hand in his work.  (Rod)

2 comments:

  1. It looks like you're working hard and having a lot of fun--what a great combo! I liked seeing the videos. Where is the ping pong table? I bet they were surprised how good you both were.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bien Hecho! It looks like you are giving it your all in Panama. You two are such a blessing to them already, I can tell. Some of my dearest friends and companions were from Panama. Suerte y amor! Love, the Baxters (Christie's Neighbors)

    ReplyDelete