Sunday, June 10, 2012

Time to go home .......... almost

 We gave some students a ride to visit a sick member.  This was the house next door. I guess some people like castles.
 These tiny yellow balls on a black tarp are a fruit called Nance.  They collect them and make them into a kind of sauce (it reminds me a LITTLE of apple sauce).  They eat it warm with white cheese.  We tried it and ate it on pancakes (because I can't stand to waste anything, especially anything that required that much effort), but, as Darin says I say a lot, it wasn't our favorite.  They also make a drink out of it, but it smacks of noni to me and I'd rather not eat it.
 This fruit is called Toreta, my student says.  This one is about 5 inches in diameter and isn't mature enough to eat.  I was going to ask for a knife to open it, but I forgot.  Maybe we'll get another chance.
Here it is growing in the tree.  It's tall.  I'm not sure how you'd harvest it.  I'd hate to have it fall on me.

Each time we do something which makes us shake our heads at our forgetfulness or something, we say "It's time to go home".  I suspect when we get home it won't cure this type of behavior.  I've been trying to figure out how you "have patience with yourself" as Elder Uchdorf said in his Forgetmenot talk, and yet keep striving to "do your best" as President Hinckley asked us.  I keep trying to love the people we work with with as much charity as possible.  For me that seems to be the key.  Edyn and I were talking about Elder Uchdorf's counsel to "not judge because the sins of others are different than our own".  I've thought about how grateful I am to have prophets to lead me.  One of my friends once expressed dismay at how I was willing just to follow a prophet.  I feel much more secure following a prophet than any other person or ideology that I could select.

Rod decided to write to Elder Martino, the 1st quorum of 70 member who supervises this area.  Rod wanted to find out his view as to the value of the work we are doing so that we could pursue (or not) the option of recruiting people who might like to do it from the couples who pass through the MTC in Provo.  Elder Martino answered our letter the next day (surprising) and encouraged us to recruit and also to come again ourselves.  We've committed to two years at  home with the family and then we'll see how our health is.  We've certainly been blessed with good health here.

No comments:

Post a Comment