Sunday, January 1, 2012

Holidays are not the same away from family

 Yinive's (Franseshi) family has just acquired a calf.  It reminded me of when we used to help calves learn to drink milk from a bucket.  I wanted to put my hand in it's mouth and let it suckle, but now my hand is too big and I am too aware of germs.

This couple Hermana Edilma Jimenez  and her husband, Ebanista,  (grandparents of our student Ruben) are posing at his baptism.  He had told me a month or so ago that he would be baptized when the Lord let him know he should.  His baptism was scheduled for 8 a.m. January 1.  I was prepared to sing and help with the music, but it started late (why do I never learn) and we had to leave to attend another branch to support our students.   At least, we got to stay for the actual baptism.

We went to visit them tonight.  We are getting to know people enough that it can be a little comfortable to visit.  It is fun to hear of their life and try to understand how they make choices.

Last night we were invited to two dinners.  The first to invite was a family of two of our students.  We prepared a tuna casserole and pumpkin bread with lemon sauce.  They enjoyed both.  Then we came home about 10:30.  I went next door where our neighbor, Dinah, had invited us for Cuban pork.  It was wonderful food, but we saved it until today.  I also visited with an American who's become a citizen here.   He is married to a woman from Cuba and has been for quite a while.  His Spanish is poor and her English broken.  Good luck with that.  He didn't act like it might be unusual to not speak better.

They partied until after 3 a.m.  Rod was convinced they invited us so we'd be more understanding of the noise.  I did wake up to the fireworks at midnight, but the music was mild compared to the discotheque in Aguadulce.  At a different hour, I would have enjoyed it.  We have learned to sleep through a lot -- without the side benefits that the patter of little feet and sound of happy voices brings.



Currently there is a "singing" frog, a female who is advertizing for a mate.  She sounds like a very loud, very fast woodpecker.  We sleep through that, too.



The people in the branch sang "Happy Birthday" to me today.  They prefaced it with a lovely thank you  for the gift of music to their youth.  It's nice to be appreciated.  Each time I feel that I vow to send out more appreciation.


We actually attended another branch today to support the youth there in playing the piano.  It was definitely worthwhile and points out the blessing of having a music person called in the ward so we can work with them so that the music continues when we are no longer here.  There's always more to do (Thank Heaven).  Work is such a blessing.


Our real triumph this week is that finally Oriel Jordan's mission papers are complete and he is waiting for his call.  Rod has spent hours working on it.  It shouldn't have been so difficult, so now we'll try to see if we can help to make it easier for others.  I guess we can have patience because we know the Lord has patience with us.  Happy New Year!!!

1 comment:

  1. I thought that it was fun that Audrey and that kid were playing Volleyball with a balloon.

    love Macy

    I had fun catching up and seeing all your fun posts with Audrey.

    (i still need to blog my self)

    Love you!

    Robyn

    I like the singing frog.

    I love you.

    love Carly

    ReplyDelete