Sunday, August 21, 2011

Moving Parties, from cookies to black beans



Mayra is from Guatemala.  She has spent a lot of time with us and we've cooked a bit.  When we arrived she was cooking black beans, Guatemala style.  She taught Rod, and here they are.


She has a great way to cut cabbage.  Here it is.

As we are leaving families who have become dear to us, we are trying to spend a little time together.  The Diaz family invited us for lunch and to make snickerdoodles.

It was fun.  I wanted the children to have a chance to do, but their mom said they had to watch and learn.  Sad for me, but what do you do in another woman's kitchen with another woman's children.?
Their grandpa wanted me to take a photo of his truck which had made the trip from the U.S. to Panama.


I climbed in back with the kids.  I have great memories of pick-up rides when I was a child. (Some not so great as well).
Finally we get a smile from Abdelito.  Usually he tries to be cool.

Kevin, on the other hand, just has a great joy in life and loves to laugh.


Javi is the district Young Men's president.  He knew some guitar before, but he has learned a bit from me and now is enrolled with a real teacher.  His goal is to offer classes to the youth in his branch and to use he music in his family home evenings.  I taught him Help Me Teach With Inspiration, and he says it has become his new favorite hymn.  I loved sharing with him.

A young girl who spent time with us when we first came and then left for another life style called us the other day to ask us to come by.  She said things had been hard and she was interested in coming back.  We went by and offered to give her a ride to church on Sunday.  When we arrived she wasn't there or awake at least.  I took Damaris home after sacrament meeting and Rod suggested I stop by again.  She was there and willing to get dressed and come with me.  It took her awhile and I was doubting my inspiration, but when we walked into the church and all 5 of the young women came running to give her a hug, it was a wonderful sight.  As I was waiting for her the thought went through my mind from Elder Maxwell, that 'people come from an increasingly long distance to enjoy the gospel, and too often they are reaching to enter a lifeboat and those inside, instead of helping them in, hit them over the head with the oars'.  These young women were following the Savior.


New House pictures.  In case anyone is interested in viewing the new house, we're trying the video approach.  One more week here and our rent more than doubles and we start anew.

Today, two of our adult students (with whom we have worked very hard) told us that they would like us to take the pianos they've earned and use them with other youth in our new area.  The Harman fund is out of funds at present, so this will help us.  It was touching to have them offer. People are GOOD!!! --as is the Lord.  We're glad to be here in the ups and downs of missionary work.

4 comments:

  1. I liked that the truck could go from Panama to the U.S.
    i love u xoxoxo

    carly




    I like I like be love macy


    I think it is fun that she is from Guatemala. She looks like a really good cook. I bet that it is harder than it looks to flip the "pancake".

    Love,
    Robyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Macy wanted to say, "I liked the beans."

    I enjoyed hearing the singing with the guitar. You both sounded great!

    It looks like you figured out how to make a slideshow. Thanks for the tour!

    love, Christie

    ReplyDelete
  3. It makes me sad that people have to give up their keyboards after they've earned them. I agree that it's very nice of them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed all the videos. The lady doing the beans speaks english? Fun to watch dad speak spanish. I enjoyed the guitar playing. I like that hymn too.
    love ya

    ReplyDelete