Sunday, May 1, 2011

Gruel and Unusual Punishment

We met in our new location today.  We had a bout 35 or 40 people.  The chapel we have now is no larger than before, but we have more teaching stations and we are told they have plans to enclose this outside area where the primary met today, add air conditioning, and make a large chapel.  We'll see (at this point, we did have water, but no electricity, so we used the keyboards with batteries -- and no fans).  My job as I see it, is not to become discouraged, but to do my part the best I can so that I am clean before the Lord.  We went yesterday and cleaned to get it ready.  A single sister and a recent convert helped us (interestingly, they didn't come for the inaugural event). I was really glad when we got there today, because it was very disorganized (branch president had to work and 1st and only counselor is sick -- Elder's quorum president came through and did fine), and at least 'clean' helped.   I had to go home for sacrament bread, and I discovered that I could use the keys for the house.  I'd never had to  before as Rod is always with me.
 One of our students in Chitre, Javi, gave us this "hand" of bananas.  They are called guineos manzanas, I think.  Apple bananas.  They have a very thin peel and a sweet, not starchy texture.  I thought there was no way we could eat them all, but we only wasted a couple.
 Aida gave us guaba.  This is the cockroach in a cocoon returning.  It still isn't my favorite.  I thought her use as a pistol was a pretty good one. 
 This is Aida's landlady.  She has a mango tree that they claim is the best anywhere.  I don't agree, but I thought it would be fun for them if I tried eating one like the natives.  It's a good thing they have an outside sink near.  This lady makes drinks for us each week.  The last one she made was a thin, tepid, sweet oatmeal drink.  I told Rod I never would have thought anyone would have thought gruel was a treat.  He quipped back "Gruel and unusual punishment".  I love his desire to make me laugh.  My life is much lighter because of it.
 Everyone got a kick out of Rod's pretended juggling with the mangoes.
 These are almonds, I think.  My landlady says she doesn't eat them.  I opened them to this stage of pink and she says people eat the pink part.  I can't get it more open yet as my hammer can't crack it because it isn't dry.  We'll see.
 Gladys has her own home smoke house but she only had just this one small piece of meat.  She gets it dry and the smoke changes the flavor.  She cooks for the missionaries for lunch each day.  She is the first member of the branch in Las Tablas and had church in her home for about 5 years.  Her husband was the branch president.  The church has fluctuated in this area for many years.  Our job is to try to take some part from fluctuation to steady growth.  I think we'd better start praying more.

2 comments:

  1. We all had fun writing a comment, they wouldn't post, and then somehow got lost, so from the best of my memory...

    I would love to have Primary outside sometime.

    Ich liebe dich.

    love, Robyn

    I love you.

    love, Macy

    Dad, I appreciate your sense of humor, too.

    We love you and pray for you!

    love, Christie

    ReplyDelete
  2. it is fun and nostalgic to read about your struggles to get the church more stable there

    It is hard not to become discouraged. you are both doing such a great job. I keep asking myself if there is any possibility I would ever want to serve again. You both make me think maybe as you work so well together and are enjoying things. Thanks dad for passing on the great sense of humor. Aryl made me laugh so hard on sat when we got together. I needed it.
    edyn

    ReplyDelete